What You Can Do If You Are at Increased Risk for Severe Illness from COVID-19
Are You at Increased Risk for Severe Illness?
Based on what we know now, those at increased risk for severe illness from COVID-19 are:
- Cancer Chronic kidney disease
- COPD (chronic obstructive pulmonary disease)
- Immunocompromised state (weakened immune system) from solid organ transplant
- Obesity (body mass index [BMI] of 30 or higher)
- Serious heart conditions, such as heart failure, coronary artery disease, or cardiomyopathies
- Sickle cell disease
- Type 2 diabetes mellitus
Here Is What You Can Do to Help Protect Yourself
Limit contact with other people as much as possible.
Wash your hands often.
Avoid close contact (6 feet, which is about two arm lengths) with people who are sick.
Clean and disinfect frequently touched surfaces.